The We Honor Veterans program is a partnership dedicated to accompanying and guiding veterans through their life stories toward a more peaceful ending. It is offered by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). While all our agencies have achieved level 4 status, AseraCare’s commitment to the program has been recognized through our work in developing new Level 5 activities through our pilot program with NHPCO.
AseraCare Hospice is committed to developing relationships in our communities with our veteran population. We’re continuously working toward serving the unique culture and specialized needs of veterans with end-of-life hospice services through a variety of activities.
Many veterans have never been thanked for their service. Aseracare Hospice works with local community organizations to host pinning ceremonies where veterans are honored and thanked for their service to our country. Each veteran is pinned and given a certificate of gratitude for their service.
A key component of our partnership with We Honor Veterans is our Veteran-to-Veteran Volunteer Program. We train active members of the military and veterans to serve as specialized hospice volunteers for this cherished population. Vet-to-Vet volunteers can:
• Assist in pinning ceremonies where we formally honor and thank our veterans for their service by presenting an American flag pin and a certificate of gratitude.
• Make regular visits to the veteran, allowing them to share their stories, if they so desire, with someone who understands military culture and/or military history.
• Complete a “life review” with the veteran for possible inclusion into the Library of Congress’s Veterans History Project.
• Help the veteran replace lost medals.
• Provide a “final salute” in the last few days of the patient’s life.