ASIS is AseraCare Serious Illness Support
- How do I know if AseraCare Serious Illness Support (ASIS) is right for me?
AseraCare Serious Illness Support may be right for you if you have a serious illness. Serious illnesses include but are not limited to: cancer, heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease, Alzheimer’s, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and many more. ASIS is appropriate at the later stage of a serious illness, however can still be utilizing treatments such as radiation, chemotherapy and blood transfusions.
- What does the AseraCare Serious Illness team do?
ASIS is specialized medical care that focuses on education, coordination, navigation and transitioning during your serious illness. It is provided by a specially-trained team of doctors, nurses, social workers and chaplains who work together with your other doctors to provide an extra layer of support. The goal is to improve your quality of life.
To do this, the ASIS care team will:
- Work with your attending MD to relieve your symptoms and distress
- Help you better understand your disease and diagnosis
- Help clarify your treatment goals and options
- Understand and support your ability to cope with your illness
- Assist you with making medical decision
- Coordinate with your other doctors
- Coordinate with the community for services that may be beneficial for you
- What can I expect from AseraCare Serious Illness?
In short, you can expect that your quality of life will be improved. You will be educated on your disease state and your family will be educated as well. You will have assistance with navigating your advanced care plan from trained social workers and you can also expect close communication and more control over your care.
ASIS will help you carry on with daily life. It will improve your ability to go through medical treatments. And it will help you to match your goals to your treatment choices.
- Will my insurance cover AseraCare Serious Illness Support?
At this time, this is a community service that is an extension of the AseraCare hospice program and is no cost to you or your family.
- Do I have to give up my own doctor?
No. The ASIS team provides an extra layer of support and works in partnership with your primary doctor.
- Can I have curative treatment together with ASIS?
Yes, absolutely. Your treatment choices are up to you.
- Who else, besides the patient, can benefit?
Everyone involved! Patients as well as family caregivers are the special focus of ASIS. Your doctors and nurses benefit too, because they know they are meeting your needs by providing care and treatment that reduces your suffering and improves your quality of life.
- How do I sign up for AseraCare Illness Support?
The AseraCare team would be happy to meet with you and your family when it is convenient to you. You can talk with your attending physician who can call us or you can call directly to AseraCare at 1-888-868-1957.